[R] Desperatly seeking Parallel R simulation with Windows XP

Rainer M Krug r.m.krug at gmail.com
Tue Sep 30 10:55:38 CEST 2008

On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 10:18 AM, quant15
<alexandre.bombal at bnpparibas.com> wrote:

> Hello R experts,
>
> I've been searching for weeks a way to use my quad core xeon to increase
> speed of a very-very computer-intensive simulation I must do for my works.
>
> It seems that most purpose-made packages for R : Snow, Rmpi, snowfall,...
> are designed for Linux based OS. I do not have access to Linux due to
> professionnal reasons ... so I must work with windows XP.
>
> Do somebody know a way to unleash the calculation power of all four cores
> under windows XP ?

Just tried snow under Windows 2000 and it works. Just follow the
examples on http://www.sfu.ca/~sblay/R/snow.html
but create a cluster as follow:

cl <- makeSOCKcluster(c("localhost", "localhost", "localhost", "localhost"))

and you have a cluster of all your four cores.

As I don't have a dual or quadcore running windows, I can't confirm
that it is actually using all cores (it does under Linux), but the
cluster is created.

If you have further questions, just ask - I am learning tio use snow as well.

Rainer