[R] odds ratio: how to create reference

Bunny, lautloscrew.com bunny at lautloscrew.com
Tue Sep 23 11:06:11 CEST 2008

HI there,

i know this is a basic question, though i need some help because this
is somewhat away from my current issue, but nevertheless interesting
to me... Lets assume i have some estimated probabilities, say
estimated by a logit model. i know i can also state them as an odds
ratio.

Now i´d like to state these odds ratios as a reference to a specific
outcome of my investigated variable.

for example, if my covariate of interest is race and possible outcomes
are white, black and hispanic, whereas the latter are minorities in my
case - how can i state the odds ratio in such a way that white is the
reference (always 1) and other races' odds ratio are relative to the
reference. e.g. hispanics are 1.5 times more likely to ...

Is creating 3 binary dummies for race the right way  ? And if so how
can i go on.
As i said, i know this is rather basic, i am thankful for any links /