[R] Hmisc and Ubuntu (aptitude install)

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Mon Sep 22 15:20:14 CEST 2008

On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 08:48:12AM -0400, Vincent Goulet wrote:
> Matthew,
>
> As per the CRAN Ubuntu README
>
> 	http://cran.r-project.org/bin/linux/ubuntu/
>
> install the Ubuntu r-base-dev package to compile R packages from
> sources.

Well there should be a working r-cran-hmisc package.  You simply got a
'404' error indicating that your network access (using http) to the
external Ubuntu mirror was broken.   Fix that, or download the package
by hand.  It may be easier to just install the missing package.

That said, Vincent is of course entirely correct on the need for
r-base-dev.

Dirk