[R] Installing rgl

Kevin E. Thorpe kevin.thorpe at utoronto.ca
Thu Sep 4 16:19:59 CEST 2008

Duncan Murdoch wrote:
> On 03/09/2008 4:34 PM, Kevin E. Thorpe wrote:
>> Hello.
>>
>> I'm having trouble installing rgl.  I have a theory as to the problem.
>> First, the error message and session info.
>>
>>> install.packages("rgl")
>> trying URL 'http://probability.ca/cran/src/contrib/rgl_0.81.tar.gz'
>> Content type 'application/x-gzip' length 1636939 bytes (1.6 Mb)
>> opened URL
>> downloaded 1.6 Mb
>>
>> * Installing *source* package 'rgl' ...
>> checking for gcc... gcc -std=gnu99
>> checking for C compiler default output file name... a.out
>> checking whether the C compiler works... yes
>> checking whether we are cross compiling... no
>> checking for suffix of executables...
>> checking for suffix of object files... o
>> checking whether we are using the GNU C compiler... yes
>> checking whether gcc -std=gnu99 accepts -g... yes
>> checking for gcc -std=gnu99 option to accept ISO C89... none needed
>> checking how to run the C preprocessor... gcc -std=gnu99 -E
>> checking for gcc... (cached) gcc -std=gnu99
>> checking whether we are using the GNU C compiler... (cached) yes
>> checking whether gcc -std=gnu99 accepts -g... (cached) yes
>> checking for gcc -std=gnu99 option to accept ISO C89... (cached) none
>> needed
>> checking for libpng-config... yes
>> configure: using libpng-config
>> configure: using libpng dynamic linkage
>> checking for X... libraries , headers
>> checking GL/gl.h usability... yes
>> checking GL/gl.h presence... yes
>> checking for GL/gl.h... yes
>> checking GL/glu.h usability... yes
>> checking GL/glu.h presence... yes
>> checking for GL/glu.h... yes
>> checking for glEnd in -lGL... no
>> configure: error: missing required library GL
>> ERROR: configuration failed for package 'rgl'
>> ** Removing '/usr/local/lib/R/library/rgl'
>>
>> The downloaded packages are in
>>         /tmp/RtmpZAeU9W/downloaded_packages
>> Updating HTML index of packages in '.Library'
>> Warning message:
>> In install.packages("rgl") :
>>   installation of package 'rgl' had non-zero exit status
>>> sessionInfo()
>> R version 2.7.2 Patched (2008-09-02 r46486)
>> i686-pc-linux-gnu
>>
>> locale:
>>
>> attached base packages:

>> [1] tools_2.7.2
>>
>> So, the error appears to be related to libGL (or libGLU?).  I am running
>> OpenSUSE 10.2.  I have the OpenGL packages installed.  I have the MESA
>> and MESA-devel packages installed which provide libGL.so.1 and
>> libGLU.so.1.  I also have the fglrx (proprietary ATI driver package
>> installed) which also provides libGL.so.1 (but no libGLU.so.1).  I
>> suspect that an incompatible libGL is being found (both versions appear
>> to be on the system in different directories).
>>
>> How do I confirm if this is the case and force a particular lib file
>> during package installation?
>
> rgl is now hosted on R-forge, at
> [...]

Thanks Duncan.  I followed your advice and ran the configure script
manually.  I looked at config.log which showed me where to look.  I
discovered that /usr/lib/libGL.so.1 was not there.  I think I know how
that happened, but I don't want to talk about it. :-)

I re-installed my MESA packages and everything worked.

Kevin

--
Kevin E. Thorpe
Biostatistician/Trialist, Knowledge Translation Program