[R] Installing rgl

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Thu Sep 4 00:24:56 CEST 2008

On 03/09/2008 4:34 PM, Kevin E. Thorpe wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I'm having trouble installing rgl.  I have a theory as to the problem.
> First, the error message and session info.
>
>> install.packages("rgl")
> trying URL 'http://probability.ca/cran/src/contrib/rgl_0.81.tar.gz'
> Content type 'application/x-gzip' length 1636939 bytes (1.6 Mb)
> opened URL
> downloaded 1.6 Mb
>
> * Installing *source* package 'rgl' ...
> checking for gcc... gcc -std=gnu99
> checking for suffix of executables...
> checking whether gcc -std=gnu99 accepts -g... yes
> checking for gcc -std=gnu99 option to accept ISO C89... none needed
> checking how to run the C preprocessor... gcc -std=gnu99 -E
> checking for gcc... (cached) gcc -std=gnu99
> checking whether we are using the GNU C compiler... (cached) yes
> checking whether gcc -std=gnu99 accepts -g... (cached) yes
> checking for gcc -std=gnu99 option to accept ISO C89... (cached) none needed
> checking for libpng-config... yes
> configure: using libpng-config
> configure: using libpng dynamic linkage
> checking for X... libraries , headers
> checking GL/gl.h usability... yes
> checking GL/gl.h presence... yes
> checking for GL/gl.h... yes
> checking GL/glu.h usability... yes
> checking GL/glu.h presence... yes
> checking for GL/glu.h... yes
> checking for glEnd in -lGL... no
> configure: error: missing required library GL
> ERROR: configuration failed for package 'rgl'
> ** Removing '/usr/local/lib/R/library/rgl'
>
> The downloaded packages are in
>         /tmp/RtmpZAeU9W/downloaded_packages
> Updating HTML index of packages in '.Library'
> Warning message:
> In install.packages("rgl") :
>   installation of package 'rgl' had non-zero exit status
>> sessionInfo()
> R version 2.7.2 Patched (2008-09-02 r46486)
> i686-pc-linux-gnu
>
> locale:
>
> attached base packages:

> [1] tools_2.7.2
>
> So, the error appears to be related to libGL (or libGLU?).  I am running
> OpenSUSE 10.2.  I have the OpenGL packages installed.  I have the MESA
> and MESA-devel packages installed which provide libGL.so.1 and
> libGLU.so.1.  I also have the fglrx (proprietary ATI driver package
> installed) which also provides libGL.so.1 (but no libGLU.so.1).  I
> suspect that an incompatible libGL is being found (both versions appear
> to be on the system in different directories).
>
> How do I confirm if this is the case and force a particular lib file
> during package installation?

rgl is now hosted on R-forge, at
https://r-forge.r-project.org/projects/rgl/.  You could post questions
there, and be one of the first to do so :-).

But the general idea is probably to run the configure script manually,
and look at the output.  So you would download and untar rgl (or just
check it out using svn), then in the main directory, run ./configure.
I think this will produce a config.log file that you can check for all
the gory details.

Duncan Murdoch