[R] odbcConnectExcel2007

Chrischizinski chris.chizinski at gmail.com
Tue Oct 28 17:43:47 CET 2008

Agnolucci, Paolo wrote:

> Hi
>

> sorry if this is really basic but I am just starting on R.
>

> Can anyone point me at how to write R objects into Excel 2007 files. I
> have seen how to set up a connection to a file through
> odbcConnectExcel2007(xls.file, readOnly = FALSE, ...) but it doesn't say
> anything on how to write data
>

> Thanks
>
> Registered in England and Wales No 3033654
> 	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]

I am not sure how to write into Excel 2007 format (*.xlsx) but there is a
package that makes writing (and reading) excel files in the older format
(*.xls) fairly easy.  This package is called xlsReadWrite.

To read an excel file in using this package:
foo<-read.xls(file="filename.xls", colNames=TRUE, rowNames=TRUE,
sheet="Sheet1", type="data.frame",checkNames=TRUE)

To write an excel file using this package:
write.xls( foo, "filename.xls", colNames = TRUE)

It is fairly easy to use and Excel 2007 easily reads and write to this older
format.