[R] how to easily access S-PLUS data sets in R?

Mark Daniel Ward mdw at purdue.edu
Tue Oct 28 15:57:59 CET 2008

Dear R-help colleagues,

Greetings!  I'm interested in using some of the data sets from S-PLUS in
a class that I'm teaching on R.  Our university has a license for
S-PLUS, and I recognize that data sets from S-PLUS can be individually
exported from S-PLUS and then imported into R.

Is there a more straightforward way to do this?  For instance, are the
data sets from S-PLUS freely available for download (all of the data
sets, in one batch) from some URL that I don't know about?

On the other hand, is this a legal thing to do?  We would only use the
data for classroom use, and we do have an S-PLUS license, but I am
uncertain about the legal issues of moving data sets from S-PLUS to R.

So, in summary, can I do it easily (for instance, download the data sets
in S-PLUS from some URL all at once), can I do it in a more difficult
way (for instance, one data set at a time), and is it legal to do?

Thank you for any thoughts on these issues.  I searched diligently
through the help files, and I only found discussions about individual
S-PLUS data sets, but nothing about moving all of the data sets from
S-PLUS into R.

Sincerely,
Mark Daniel Ward
Department of Statistics