[R] Transferring results from R to MS Word

Tom Backer Johnsen backer at psych.uib.no
Sat Oct 25 21:05:49 CEST 2008

Jasim Al-Ajmi wrote:
> Dear Tom
> I am a new user of R. My problem is how to read excel data files.
> How can I read a file called stock in R. What statement I should use?
> Thanks for your help.

Thye simplest is to save your file as a .CSV file. This is a "plain
text" file where the elements are separated with semicolons or commas.
The names of the variables (columns) should be in the first row of the
sheet.  Look in the documentation for read.table (there are other
alternatives as well).

Call read.table naming your file (or use file.choose()) setting
header=T, sep="" to whatever seperates the values in your file, and
na.strings = "" to whatever you identify your missing values with.

Tom
> Best regards
> Jasim
> On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 10:30 PM, Tom Backer Johnsen
> <backer at psych.uib.no <mailto:backer at psych.uib.no>> wrote:
>
>     R-users
>
>     At the moment I am teaching a course on the use of R for data
>     analysis.  Part of course requirements involves the transfer of
>     results from R to something that resembles the APA (American
>     Psychological Associations) type tables to MS Word.  Until now I
>     have used the HTML function in the R2HTML library, with a call like
>     this:
>
>     HTML(summary(model1), file("clipboard", "w"), digits=4)
>
>     Where "model1" is an object containing results from a linear model
>     (function lm ()).  I have to add that I do not remember where I got
>     the digits argument from.  The main point is that the output is
>     transferred to Excel as the first step where the output can be
>     deleted and shuffled in order to produce a correctly formatted table
>     according to APA standards which then is transferred to MS Word with
>     a copy and paste operation.
>
>     The problem is simply that what is tranferred to Excel varies with
>     what you throw at the HTML function.  Nothing is rounded of with an
>     lm() model.  With a function like sd () I seem to consistently get 2
>     decimal points transferred, less than what I want, while there are
>     variations in respect to the number of decimals when I transfer the
>     result on the summary () using a frame as the argument.
>
>     The optimal thing for me (and the students) would be to consistently
>     have all the decimals tranferred to Excel, any rounding to could be
>     done there before the transfer of the table to MS Word.
>      Alternatively, that something like the argument digits=x works in a
>     consistent manner with at least most objects.
>
>     So:
>
>     What do I tell my students on what to do using R2HTML in order to
>     obtain consistent results?
>
>     Alternativly: are there other alternatives I and my students could
>     use for the transfer of results from R via Excel to MS Word?
>
>     I really would appreciate some suggestions.
>
>     Tom

>     and provide commented, minimal, self-contained, reproducible code.

| Tom Backer Johnsen, Psychometrics Unit,  Faculty of Psychology |
| University of Bergen, Christies gt. 12, N-5015 Bergen,  NORWAY |
| Tel : +47-5558-9185                        Fax : +47-5558-9879 |
| Email : backer at psych.uib.no    URL : http://www.galton.uib.no/ |