[R] Blowing up portions of a graph

Greg Snow Greg.Snow at imail.org
Mon Oct 13 18:18:35 CEST 2008

There is the zoomplot function in the TeachingDemos package that allows you to zoom in/out the current plot.  But it is a bit of a kludge.  The better option is probably to just set the xlim and ylim arguments in a new plot command.  You can use the locator function as one way to find the coordinates to pass to xlim and ylim.

For adding the zoomed areas, you can use the layout function to set up the device with one big area on top and multiple smaller areas below to place the zooms in, or you can use the subplot function from the TeachingDemos package to add the zooms to uninteresting/empty areas of the current plot.

Hope this helps,

--
Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.
Statistical Data Center