[R] Creating GUIs for R

Duncan Temple Lang duncan at wald.ucdavis.edu
Sun Oct 12 22:32:27 CEST 2008

Liviu Andronic wrote:
> I risk to fall far from answering your question, but this may be of interest.
>
> On Sun, Oct 12, 2008 at 10:53 PM, cls59 <sharpsteen at mac.com> wrote:
>> Basically, I would like to start with just a plain vanilla R session running
>> inside a Qt widget. Any suggestions?
>>
>>From the old User Manual [2] of SciViews-R [1]:
> "All programs developed by the  SciViews team are distributed
> under an Open Source license (GPL 2 or above), as R itself. Our goal is
> to contribute in providing a high-quality GUI for this statistical system
> that can be freely used by everyone. SciViews-R is also programmed in
> an  expendable way, which means any programmer  may implement
> additional features, or even  a different suite of fully-compatible
> companion applications. This  way, we hope to encourage
> intercompatibility between the various R GUI projects. We wish others
> implementations, possibly in Tcl/Tk, Gtk, Java, Aqua, … will develop.
> However, we anticipate great potentials of the wxPython (wxWidgets +
> Python) as a powerful platform-independent solution for these
> companion applications. R-wxPython
> (http://bioinf.wehi.edu.au/folders/james/wxPython/) uses RSPython),
> but RPy (http://www.omegahat.org/RSPython/
> (http://rpy.sourceforge.net/) is a possible,  although unidirectional,
> alternative  to write a Python/wxWidgets GUI for R.

Rather than getting access to wxWidgets in R via Python,
you might want to use the RwxWidgets package directly.
(http://www.omegahat.org/RwxWidgets).
As it stands, there is reasonably functionality already available
in the package. I expect that it will be a complete set of bindings
to all of the wxWidgets library within the next few months.
The bindings will be generated programmatically and just waiting
for me to finish up the more exotic parts of the code generation for C++
libraries in the RGCCTranslationUnit package.

   D.