[R] Creating GUIs for R

Liviu Andronic landronimirc at gmail.com
Sun Oct 12 22:15:04 CEST 2008

I risk to fall far from answering your question, but this may be of interest.

On Sun, Oct 12, 2008 at 10:53 PM, cls59 <sharpsteen at mac.com> wrote:
> Basically, I would like to start with just a plain vanilla R session running
> inside a Qt widget. Any suggestions?

From the old User Manual [2] of SciViews-R [1]:
"All programs developed by the  SciViews team are distributed
under an Open Source license (GPL 2 or above), as R itself. Our goal is
to contribute in providing a high-quality GUI for this statistical system
that can be freely used by everyone. SciViews-R is also programmed in
an  expendable way, which means any programmer  may implement
additional features, or even  a different suite of fully-compatible
companion applications. This  way, we hope to encourage
intercompatibility between the various R GUI projects. We wish others
implementations, possibly in Tcl/Tk, Gtk, Java, Aqua, … will develop.
However, we anticipate great potentials of the wxPython (wxWidgets +
Python) as a powerful platform-independent solution for these
companion applications. R-wxPython
(http://bioinf.wehi.edu.au/folders/james/wxPython/) uses RSPython),
but RPy (http://www.omegahat.org/RSPython/
(http://rpy.sourceforge.net/) is a possible,  although unidirectional,
alternative  to write a Python/wxWidgets GUI for R.  We warmly
encourage any initiative in this direction and will support and help any
volunteer that would like to write a platform-independent version of
SciViews-R with these tools. Remember: your contributions are
welcome! "

The Manual may prove an interesting read for those interested in R GUI
creation. So could the manual [3] for the newer SciViews-K [4].

Regards,
Liviu

[1] http://www.sciviews.org/SciViews-R/
[2] http://www.sciviews.org/SciViews-R/oldVersion/Manual.pdf