[R] ESS Toolbar missing after Ubuntu Update

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Mon Nov 3 18:22:01 CET 2008

Hi Andreas,

    AW> Dear R useRs, yesterday i updated my system from ubuntu
    AW> 8.04 to 8.10. I use emacs- snapshot, this is emacs
    AW> 23.0.60.1 and ess 5.3.8.

I think R-help is not the "optimal" (put mildly) to report this.

ESS-help would be more appropriate (or even  ESS-bugs or rather
"emacs-snapshot-bugs" if there was such a list).

For now let me state that I'd consider this behavior to be a bug
in "emacs-snapshot" {which is ~= "Emacs-devel", BTW, for those poor R
users who have to suffer through this thread ;-)}

Regards,
Martin

    AW> Before the update i had when
    AW> starting emacs with an R file an ess-toolbar with little
    AW> icons to start R or to evaluate a line or a region of my
    AW> R file, but no this toolbar is lost and i don't know how
    AW> to get it again. I tried a lot of changes in the ess
    AW> options but without any success. searching with google
    AW> could not solve my problem.

    AW> If you have any advice for me i would be very thankful

Use a released version of Emacs, ....