[R] Pros and Cons of R

Trevor Davis Trevor.L.Davis at frb.gov
Tue May 27 21:43:35 CEST 2008

K. Elo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Monica Pisica wrote:
>  > - There is no perfect “beginner” book.
>
> How about
> - Crawley, Michael (2007). The R book, Wiley & Sons.
> - Maindonald, John & John Braun (2007): Data Analysis and Graphics Using
> R (2nd edition), Cambridge University Press.
>
> As a political scientist (with programming experience :) ), both books
> have helped me to decide in favour of R instead of SPSS when I had to
> choose the environment for statistical analysis (in Linux). Sadly
> enough, almost all method books written for social scientists take SPSS
> as the standard statistical application and, consequently, teach data
> analysis in a look-for-this-in-SPSS-output-manner. To use R in social
> sciences, one really must learn how R does things: looking for something
> in the output is not enough :)
>
> BTW, does someone happen to know, if there is any R-book written for
> social scientists?
>
> Kind regards,
> Kimmo

Some of the "Quantitative Applications in the Social Sciences" series of
monographs by SAGE publications use R (such as "Spatial Regression
Models") and there are a few Econometrics books out there (Econometrics
in R by Grant Farnsworth is available for free in the contributed
section of the CRAN website).