[R] Pros and Cons of R

K. Elo maillists at nic.fi
Thu May 22 19:12:48 CEST 2008

Hi,

Monica Pisica wrote:
 > - There is no perfect “beginner” book.

How about
- Crawley, Michael (2007). The R book, Wiley & Sons.
- Maindonald, John & John Braun (2007): Data Analysis and Graphics Using
R (2nd edition), Cambridge University Press.

As a political scientist (with programming experience :) ), both books
have helped me to decide in favour of R instead of SPSS when I had to
choose the environment for statistical analysis (in Linux). Sadly
enough, almost all method books written for social scientists take SPSS
as the standard statistical application and, consequently, teach data
analysis in a look-for-this-in-SPSS-output-manner. To use R in social
sciences, one really must learn how R does things: looking for something
in the output is not enough :)

BTW, does someone happen to know, if there is any R-book written for
social scientists?

Kind regards,
Kimmo