[R] Insufficient memory

Roy Williams WilliamsR at arc.agric.za
Wed May 21 09:28:02 CEST 2008

Dear Sir/Madam,

I have only started using a R-written script for modeling the distribution of disease vector species. Part of the script is to make a large GIS grid for use with GIS software, but it seems I have a memory problem. I get the following message:

Reached total allocation of 1535Mb: see help(memory.size)

My hard disk has more than 100 gigabytes available, I just have to increase the allocated memory -  sofar unsuccesful. I've used the code:
> memory.limit(4094)  which returns: NULL.
When I then use the code: > memory.limit(size = NA) it returns: [1] 4094. But then when I run the code to produce the large grid, I still get the same error message as above.
How do I go about to increase the memory to the maximum?

Your help is much appreciated.

Regards

Roy Williams

Dr R Williams
Diagnostic Products & GIS
ARC-Onderstepoort Vet Institute

Tel:  +27 12 529-9107
Fax: +27 12 529-9285
Cell: 072 200 0024

WilliamsR at arc.agric.za
Visit us at: www.arc.agric.za

Disclaimer\ \ This message is confidential and may be co...{{dropped:20}}