[R] Can not install fCalendar package under R 2.6.2

Yan Wang ywang67 at isye.gatech.edu
Sun Mar 23 18:42:01 CET 2008

Dear Prof Brian Ripley and other R guru:
   Very happy to receive your help. Actually what I use is 262.73. In
detail, what I have been doing is the following:
   First I have a not-up-to-dated R 2.4.0 under ubuntu 7.04, then I tried
to install fCalendar(what I really want to use is fGarch, but it depends
on fCalendar), I use install.packages to do it, so the fCalendar packages
I had downloaded is up to dated 262.73(I also have checked it to make
sure), then R reported a strange error, saying it found a syntax error-a
parse error at line 122 and 123 something. It's a pity I did not copy that
down. Then I found that my R is old, so I upgraded it to 2.6.2 with apt-get
and tried it again. The situation improved, it did not say it has difficulty
parsing any more, but it reported the error I have posted.

   Another thing is that I have a R 2.5.1 under windows, yesterday I tried
to use install.packages to install fCalendar under it, and everything
worked smoothly, it was a success, no problem whatsoever.

   As a common R user, I am not capable of debugging it. I hope R gurus
like prof Brian Ripley could have a closer look at my problem.

   Thanks a lot!

Yan Wang
Georgia Institute of Technology
School of Industrial and Systems Engineering

E-mail address:   ywang67 at isye.gatech.edu