[R] Rmpi and C Code, where to get the communicator

Markus Schmidberger schmidb at ibe.med.uni-muenchen.de
Thu Mar 20 14:05:48 CET 2008

Hello,

I try to write parts of my code in C to accelerate the for-loops. But
basic operations I want to do in R (e.g. start cluster). My R code looks
something like this:

library(Rmpi)
mpi.spawn.Rslaves()
mpi.remote.exec(....)
dyn.load("test.so")
erg <- .Call("test", ....)
mpi.close.Rslaves()
mpi.quit()

And my C function looks something like this:

#include <mpi.h>
#include <R.h>
#include <Rdefines.h>
#include <Rinternals.h>
SEXP test (SEXP a, ..){
    int rank;
    comm ??????
    MPI_Comm_rank (comm, &rank);
}

For all MPI functions I need the right communicator (MPI_Comm *comm;) to
communicate with the existing slaves. This variable will be generated by
spawning the Rslaves (mpi.spawn.Rslaves). But how to get to this
variable in my C function?
Is the communicator variable somewhere stored in a R variable?

( I use R 2.6.2 and Rmpi 0.5-5)

Thanks
Markus

--

Dipl.-Tech. Math. Markus Schmidberger

Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München
IBE - Institut für medizinische Informationsverarbeitung,
Biometrie und Epidemiologie
Marchioninistr. 15, D-81377 Muenchen
Mail: Markus.Schmidberger [at] ibe.med.uni-muenchen.de
Tel: +49 (089) 7095 - 4599