[R] problems with rgl in Ubuntu 'gutsy'

Hans Ekbrand hans at sociologi.cjb.net
Tue Mar 18 08:55:00 CET 2008

On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 09:11:05PM -0000, Foadi, J (James) wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 05:43:58PM -0000, Foadi, J (James) wrote:

[...]

> > | all rgl windows device do not show the outer frame, so I cannot move or resize the window.
> > | In addition to that, the image is like "frozen", it can't be either rotated or shifted at all.
> > |
> > | In short, rgl seems not to behave according to expectations. No error messages appear at any stage.
> > |
> > | Has anyone a clue on what's going wrong here?
> >
> > Did you try the pre-built version, ie 'sudo apt-get install r-cran-rgl' ?
>
> Does X do gl-rendering OK with other applications? (what does
>
> $ glxgears -info
>
> I've tried what you suggest. This is the output:
>
> james at jeeg:~/workR$ glxgears -info
> GL_RENDERER   = Mesa DRI Intel(R) 945GM 20061017 x86/MMX/SSE2
> GL_VERSION    = 1.3 Mesa 7.0.1

[...]

> 3976 frames in 5.0 seconds = 795.106 FPS
> 4017 frames in 5.0 seconds = 803.364 FPS
> 3988 frames in 5.0 seconds = 797.593 FPS
>

> And a windows with moving gears appears, and it has a frame. But it doesn't click and drag easily.

On my system that window can be moved and even resized without
problems (keeping a high rendering rate). Sorry, but I my test didn't
give any conclusive new facts about the cause of the problem.

--
Hans Ekbrand (http://sociologi.cjb.net) <hans at sociologi.cjb.net>
Q. What is that strange attachment in this mail?