[R] Bessel functions of complex argument

Robin Hankin r.hankin at noc.soton.ac.uk
Mon Mar 10 09:49:06 CET 2008

Hello Baptiste

Bessel functions with complex arguments
are not supported in R.

Neither  matlab nor the  Gnu Scientific Library support them either.

. . . but . . .

the pari/gp system (released on the GPL) does:

? besselj(1+I,3)
%3 = 0.6919067491368555819808728680 + 0.4484268613977010268818252591*I
?

You can access some pari/gp functionality from within R
by using the elliptic package, although unfortunately
its wrapper function, P.pari(),  is not quite flexible enough
to deal with besselj().

I'd be happy to discuss this offline; P.pari() will need only
minor changes to accommodate besselj().

HTH

Robin