[R] Which distribution best fits the data?

Jenny Barnes jmb at mssl.ucl.ac.uk
Mon Jun 30 13:53:41 CEST 2008

Hi Ben and R-help communtiy,

More specifics:

I am using sea-surface temperature (averaged over an area) and also winds
(averaged over an area) to use in a linear regression model as predictors
for rainfall over a small region of Africa. So I have 1 time series of
sea-temp and one timeseries of rainfall (over 36 years - seasonal average)
and I have performed the linear regression between the 2. I now want to
check if the residuals are normally distributed. If they are not I want an
R function that will tell me what distribution they are most similar to -
so that I can apply a suitable transformation to make the data normal.....

Any more tips now that you have a few more details perhaps? :o)

Thanks for your time,

Jenny