[R] binomial distribution

Peter Dalgaard P.Dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Fri Jun 27 17:24:33 CEST 2008

Peng Jiang wrote:
> Hi, xiechao
>  i don't think that is a R specific problem. you mean u got two random
> variables X,Y and both
> of them binomial distributed and you want to find the distribution of
> a new variable Z = X/Y.
> That is a basic transformation problem. u can start with introducing a
> new r.v. namely W, by
>  letting it equal to X you obtain W=X,Z=X/Y from which u have X = W
> and Y  = W / Z.  It is easy
> to find the Jacobian of this transformation, and the left is routinely.
Not that easy! X and Y are discrete, and the result is an improper
distribution since there is a positive probability of dividing by 0. If
the mean of X and Y are moderately large, the delta method can be used.
If they have a small(-ish) number of different values, I'd be tempted
just to use brute force, as in

r <- outer(x,y,"/")
r[0,0] <- 0 # 0/0 defaults to NaN
p <- outer(dbinom(x,10,.5), dbinom(y,10,.5))
o <- order(r)
plot(r[o],cumsum(p[o]), type="s")
plot(unique(r[o]),tapply(p[o],list(r[o]), sum), type="h")

(the latter plot is not quite right --- should take better care of
rounding issues)