[R] binomial distribution

Peng Jiang jp021 at sjtu.edu.cn
Fri Jun 27 16:44:45 CEST 2008

Hi, xiechao
  i don't think that is a R specific problem. you mean u got two
random variables X,Y and both
of them binomial distributed and you want to find the distribution of
a new variable Z = X/Y.
That is a basic transformation problem. u can start with introducing a
new r.v. namely W, by
  letting it equal to X you obtain W=X,Z=X/Y from which u have X = W
and Y  = W / Z.  It is easy
to find the Jacobian of this transformation, and the left is routinely.

   regards.
On 2008-6-27, at 下午8:29, Xie Chao wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am a biological student and need your help in statistics.
>
> I have two sets of  binomial distributed numbers: {a1, a2, ..., an}
> and {b1,
> b2, ..., bn}.
> How can I get the distribution of the ratios of the two sets of
> numbers
> {a1/b1, a2/b2, ..., an/bn}? Is there a formula to transform the
> distributions? Or where I can start if I want to learn necessary
> techniques?
> Thank you a lot!
>
> xiechao
>
> 	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]

Peng Jiang
江鹏
Ph.D. Candidate
Antai College of Economics & Management
安泰经济管理学院
Department of Mathematics
数学系
Shanghai Jiaotong University (Minhang Campus)
800 Dongchuan Road
200240 Shanghai
P. R. China