[R] color2D.matplot axis names

Jim Lemon jim at bitwrit.com.au
Wed Jun 18 12:07:25 CEST 2008

MeMooMeM wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I finally came up with a nice colored matrixplot, using the color2D.matplot
> function of the plotrix package. But I can't assign xtics and ytics to this
> plot. I made sure that the matrix has correct colnames() and rownames().
>
> Here's what I do:
>
> a=matrix(1:16, 4, 4)
> colnames(a) <- c("X1", "X2", "X3", X4)
> rownames(a) <- c("Y1", "Y2", "Y3", "Y4")
> color2D.matplot(a,c(0,1),c(0,0),c(0,0),show.legend=TRUE, show.values=TRUE)
>
> As you can see from the output of these commands, the ticks are numbers, but
> not the names.

Hi MeMooMeM,
For reasons I can't recall right at the moment, the solution to this is:

color2D.matplot(a,c(0,1),c(0,0),c(0,0),show.legend=TRUE,
  show.values=TRUE,axes=FALSE)
axis(1,at=0.5:3.5,labels=colnames(a))
axis(2,at=0.5:3.5,labels=rownames(a))

You have reminded me that I intended to fix this and have column and row
names as axis labels if they were present.

Note that your assignment of colnames fails because there are no quotes
around X4.

Jim