[R] RJDBC cant find driver class in JDBC jar file

David Scott d.scott at auckland.ac.nz
Tue Jun 3 02:40:03 CEST 2008

I can't comment on problems with RJDBC but I can say that if you want to
access MySQL from R, I have had very little difficulty doing it with
RODBC. The only difficulty I have experienced is in getting the MySQL 5.0
server started, which after hours of trying I avoided by using MySQL 5.1.

Setup is easiest with Windows but is possible on Linux where Brian Ripley
has provided information about how to do it. (I think in the README for
RODBC---I am trying to remember from a year ago. I have done a Windows
Vista setup in the past couple of weeks.)

You will need:

MySQL (5.1 recommended although it is a development version)
MySQL Connector ODBC
RODBC

Some notes on setup on Vista are available at:
http://www.stat.auckland.ac.nz/~dscott/779/UsingMySQLAndODBC.pdf

I think that, like many other useful tools, the linking of R and MySQL
owes much to Brian Ripley. He has my gratitude for a nice piece of work.

David Scott