[R] RJDBC cant find driver class in JDBC jar file

Dan Montgomery damontgomery at gmail.com
Tue Jun 3 00:31:34 CEST 2008

I would like to set up a Windows XP environment with R and MySQL.
This set-up was recommended by a friend who uses this set up, but I
have been unable to get RJDBC to work.  I have installed all of the
software today (June 2 2008), first deleting and then replacing old
versions of software.

The error is as follows:

Error in .jfindClass(as.character(driverClass)[1]) : class not found

This error is produced after running the following code ():

drv <- JDBC("com.mysql.jdbc.Driver",

This code was modified from code at www.rforge.net/RJDBC to include
version 5.1.6 of the driver.  Version 3.1.14 gave the same error.  I
think that R is having trouble finding the class (driver) in the .jar
file even though I can see it using winzip.  I have limited knowledge
of R and Java, but use other programing languages for work.  Thank you
for your help.

>From CRAN
-R 2.7.0

Installed in R using the command "install.packages("RJDBC",dep=TRUE)"

>From MySQL.com
-MySQL 5.0.51b (win32)

>From Java.com
-Java 6 update 6