[R] Analyzing Intervals between Data

Jia Ying Mei jiamei at Princeton.EDU
Sun Jul 27 02:09:20 CEST 2008

Hi,

The truth is, I really don't have any idea what I want to do code-wise,
because I'm not familiar with doing this kind of stuff in R.

What I need is the mean and median for the spell length of a price (i.e.
prices change over time, but what is the mean and median of the length
of each interval between changes?), see the attached economist pdf file
for an idea of what data I am trying to get.

So, I have these two text files that I can merge and fill in the missing
values like so:

 > fmt<-"%m/%d/%y"
 > dd<-read.csv("Desktop/R/CDSdate.txt")
 > dd$Date<-as.Date(dd$Date, fmt)
 >library(zoo)
 > data<-read.zoo("Desktop/R/Countrydata.txt", head=T, format=fmt,
sep="\t")
 >newdata<-merge(data, zoo(,dd$Date)
 >Finaldata<-na.locf(newdata, fromLast=TRUE)

I need some way after this to find the mean and median of the intervals
themselves between each price change by country. Looking at the
breakdown below, that seems to be mean and median of prices within
certain intervals (not sure though), but that is not what I need.

Attached is the rough code in Stata for those who know Stata and can
convert into R, but for a different set of data that is formatted the
same way. I feel like I've come back to square 1, but ANY help would be
appreciated, thanks! If not clear, I can definitely clarify points.

Jia Ying Mei

PS. I want to do this in R because I know it will be less complicated in
R and because I don't own Stata.