[R] 64-bit R on Mac OS X 10.4.5

Matthew Keller mckellercran at gmail.com
Sat Jul 26 18:15:41 CEST 2008

Hi Joseph,

For what it is worth (which might not be that much!), I have written
down step by step instructions on my website for getting 64 bit R
working under Leopard - it should be much different with Tiger:
http://www.matthewckeller.com/html/64_bit_r_on_mac.html. I think it'll
work but there may be some mistakes in there. I'd be happy to take
suggestions...

Matt

On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 7:23 PM, Steven McKinney <smckinney at bccrc.ca> wrote:

> Hello
>
> I haven't found better instructions, it's just
> not an easy thing to do.
>
> You might also consider joining the r-sig-mac group
> and reviewing threads there for additional information.
>
> Rather than try to configure, make and install with
> one giant command, I'd suggest breaking the task down
> until you have worked out all the details.  Then you
> can build more routinely with giant commands such as
> the one you report below.
>
> Note that the page of the URL you posted says this:
> "R on Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)"
>
> so look around the r.research.att.com
> website for older 10.4 related instructions.
> OS X 10.5 is different enough from 10.4 that
> copying and pasting the 10.5 instructions
> will not work everywhere.
>
> You don't say what kind of computer you have
> (Intel or PowerPC), if you have a power pc
> then -arch x86_64 is not right.  So do
> report your hardware configuration as well
> as your operating system configuration.
>
> Try breaking up the build process into steps
> and review the messages generated at each step.
>
> e.g. the configure step:  Just do these bits
>
> cd rd64
> ../R-devel/configure SHELL='/bin/bash' \
> r_arch=x86_64 \
> CC="gcc -arch x86_64 -std=gnu99" \
> CXX="g++ -arch x86_64" \
> OBJC="gcc -arch x86_64" \
> F77="gfortran -arch x86_64" \
> FC="gfortran -arch x86_64" \
> --with-system-zlib \
> --with-blas='-framework vecLib' \
> --with-lapack 1> configure.R.txt 2>&1
>
> The end bits of this version of the
> configure command redirect output and
> error messages to a file that you can then
> read, to see which bits you are missing and
> which bits cause problems.  It's tough to catch those
> as they scroll by in a terminal window.
>
> If configure runs without any signs of trouble,
> try the make.
>
> make 1> make.R.txt 2>&1
>
> Then you can review all the make output for signs
> of problems and error messages.
>

> Here's a configure command that worked for me to
> build a 64-bit R on 10.4 a while back:
>

> ./configure --host=powerpc64-apple-darwin8.10.0 --build=powerpc64-apple-darwin8.10.0 \
> --prefix=/usr/local/lib64 'CC=gcc-4.0 -arch ppc64' 'CXX=g++ -arch ppc64' \
> 'FC=gfortran-4.0 -arch ppc64' 'F77=gfortran-4.0 -arch ppc64' \
> 'CFLAGS=-g -O3 -mtune=G5 -mcpu=G5' 'FFLAGS=-g -O3 -mtune=G5 -mcpu=G5' \
> 'LDFLAGS=-arch ppc64 -m64 -L/usr/local/lib' 'CXXFLAGS=-g -O3 -mtune=G5 -mcpu=G5' \
> 'FCFLAGS=-g -O3 -mtune=G5 -mcpu=G5' --disable-R-framework --enable-R-shlib \
> '--with-blas=-framework vecLib' --with-lapack --without-iconv 1> configure.R.txt 2>&1
>

> and also note that you need to have root privileges when doing the
> make install, so you either need to run the command as root
> (not so common on Mac OS X) or run
>
> sudo make install
>
> and enter your password etc.
>
> HTH