[R] 64-bit R on Mac OS X 10.4.5

Steven McKinney smckinney at bccrc.ca
Sat Jul 26 03:23:56 CEST 2008

Hello

I haven't found better instructions, it's just
not an easy thing to do.

You might also consider joining the r-sig-mac group
and reviewing threads there for additional information.

Rather than try to configure, make and install with
one giant command, I'd suggest breaking the task down
until you have worked out all the details.  Then you
can build more routinely with giant commands such as
the one you report below.

Note that the page of the URL you posted says this:
"R on Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)"

so look around the r.research.att.com
website for older 10.4 related instructions.
OS X 10.5 is different enough from 10.4 that
copying and pasting the 10.5 instructions
will not work everywhere.

You don't say what kind of computer you have
(Intel or PowerPC), if you have a power pc
then -arch x86_64 is not right.  So do
report your hardware configuration as well
as your operating system configuration.

Try breaking up the build process into steps
and review the messages generated at each step.

e.g. the configure step:  Just do these bits

cd rd64
../R-devel/configure SHELL='/bin/bash' \
r_arch=x86_64 \
CC="gcc -arch x86_64 -std=gnu99" \
CXX="g++ -arch x86_64" \
OBJC="gcc -arch x86_64" \
F77="gfortran -arch x86_64" \
FC="gfortran -arch x86_64" \
--with-system-zlib \
--with-blas='-framework vecLib' \
--with-lapack 1> configure.R.txt 2>&1

The end bits of this version of the
configure command redirect output and
error messages to a file that you can then
read, to see which bits you are missing and
which bits cause problems.  It's tough to catch those
as they scroll by in a terminal window.

If configure runs without any signs of trouble,
try the make.

make 1> make.R.txt 2>&1

Then you can review all the make output for signs
of problems and error messages.

Here's a configure command that worked for me to
build a 64-bit R on 10.4 a while back:

./configure --host=powerpc64-apple-darwin8.10.0 --build=powerpc64-apple-darwin8.10.0 \
--prefix=/usr/local/lib64 'CC=gcc-4.0 -arch ppc64' 'CXX=g++ -arch ppc64' \
'FC=gfortran-4.0 -arch ppc64' 'F77=gfortran-4.0 -arch ppc64' \
'CFLAGS=-g -O3 -mtune=G5 -mcpu=G5' 'FFLAGS=-g -O3 -mtune=G5 -mcpu=G5' \
'LDFLAGS=-arch ppc64 -m64 -L/usr/local/lib' 'CXXFLAGS=-g -O3 -mtune=G5 -mcpu=G5' \
'FCFLAGS=-g -O3 -mtune=G5 -mcpu=G5' --disable-R-framework --enable-R-shlib \
'--with-blas=-framework vecLib' --with-lapack --without-iconv 1> configure.R.txt 2>&1

and also note that you need to have root privileges when doing the
make install, so you either need to run the command as root
(not so common on Mac OS X) or run

sudo make install

and enter your password etc.

HTH