[R] Fourier Analysis and Curve Fitting in R

Carson Farmer cfarmer at uvic.ca
Fri Jan 25 22:54:05 CET 2008

Dear List,

I am attempting to perform a harmonic analysis on a time series of snow
depth, in which the annual curve is essentially asymmetric (i.e. snow
accumulates slowly over time, and the subsequent melt occurs relatively
rapidly).  I am trying to fit a curve to the data, however, the actual
frequency is unknown. I have been trying to follow the methods in Peter
Bloomfields text "Fourier Analysis of Time Series", but am having
trouble implementing this in R.

Does anyone have any suggestions, or perhaps directions on how this
might be done properly? Am I using the right methods for fitting an
asymmetric curve?

Any help is greatly appreciated,

Sincerely,

Carson