[R] Res: vector generation

Bert Gunter gunter.berton at gene.com
Fri Jan 18 05:28:24 CET 2008

If I understand you correctly, use outer() -- the for loops suggested below
are not the "R way" (nor do they seem to fully address the "and so on" part
of your request):

ratios <- outer(z,z,"/")

This produces a matrix, the first column of which is z/z[1], the second of
which is z/z[2], and so forth. Since a matrix is just a vector with a dim
attribute, you're done; but if you want to show it as a vector, just use,
e.g.

as.vector(outer(z,z,"/"))

Bert Gunter
Genentech Nonclinical Statistics