[R] R/FAME Interface

Johnson, Bethany bethany.johnson at citi.com
Fri Jan 4 15:33:41 CET 2008

I am trying to establish an interface between FAME and R.

I have downloaded the zip file containing the documentation regarding
this interface from the CRAN website, but I am still having problems.

Thus far, what I have done is as follows:

1. I ran the "ClientServer.R" file.
2. Then I ran "startRemoteServer.R" file.
3. Then I ran the "fame.R file".  As I understand it, this would be the
key file where the "getfame" function will the be function that actually
pulls the data from FAME and dumps it into R.

However, once I have completed this, and I attempt to use the "getfame"
function, I get the following error:

"Error in eval(expr, envir, enclos) : object "xgro_ch" not found".

Therefore, I do not know if I have in fact implemented the interface
correctly (because I have set the working directory to the appropriate
folder where the FAME database is located).  However, from the above
error, it seems as though the function has been understood by R.

Further, I know that the download contains a .dll file.  I have placed
this in C:\Program Files\R - is that the correct place for it?

I am experienced in R (and getting there in FAME), but this is the first
time I have attempted to establish an interface between two languages -
as I am sure you can tell from my e-mail!

Thanks very much for your help.

Regards,

Bethany