[R] Help, Statistics Question. Testing for equality of frequncies of an event

si.fu at ntlworld.com si.fu at ntlworld.com
Fri Feb 15 11:19:14 CET 2008

Hi All,

I have a basic statistics question you might be able to help.

I have some data collected within a single population (say of chronic illness) over a period of time (number under observation is constant, say 100 subjects).

The question is how could I test whether the frequency of an event (say hospital admission) over one period is no different to other.

My data looks like this

Week             No of Events (hospital admissions)
1                23
2                26
3                46
4                23
5                45
6                58
7                34

The hypothesis : The frequency of events (hospital admissions) during the period covering weeks 3 and 4 is not different to any other weeks.

Many Thanks for your help.

RA