[R] X11 is not availble

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Thu Dec 18 15:31:09 CET 2008

On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 02:52:40PM +0100, Dennis Schmidt wrote:
> Hi Barry,
>
> this is the output of my capabilities() call:
>
> jpeg      png     tiff    tcltk      X11     aqua http/ftp  sockets
>    FALSE    FALSE    FALSE    FALSE    FALSE    FALSE     TRUE     TRUE
>   libxml     fifo   cledit    iconv      NLS  profmem    cairo
>     TRUE     TRUE     TRUE     TRUE     TRUE    FALSE    FALSE
>
> How do I install these png-devel library and header? (I'm sorry, my Unix
> knowledge isn't really THAT big ;-))
> Tried apt-get, but that doesn't find anything linke png-dev or png-
> devel...

You can use apt-get to get R from Debian (albeit not the newest
version) and you can also use apt-get to get R from CRAN (newest
version).  See

  http://cran.r-project.org/bin/linux/debian

Either variant will be correctly built and have all available
capabilities.  In other words, you do not need to locally rebuild R
(but are of course free to do so if have a good reason).

Also note that there is the r-sig-debian list for questions on R and
Debian/Ubunut.

Dirk