[R] Problem with tcl/tk and Rcmdr - urgent help required

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Wed Dec 3 14:46:43 CET 2008

Dear Ben,

On
> Behalf Of Ben
> Sent: December-03-08 5:56 AM
> To: John Fox
> Cc: r-help at r-project.org; Chiara Malaguti
> Subject: Re: [R] Problem with tcl/tk and Rcmdr - urgent help required
>
> Dear John,
> i did follow the Rcmdr instructions for macosx, having no results
> though.
> I am soon upgrading to 10.5 and hope i'll encounter no problems.
> The silly thing however was that i had installed every file needed
> for rcmdr to run but apparently had no results.
>
> Is there maybe some key point which is usually forgotten, more than
> what i have done (descripted below)?

I'm afraid that I can't offer much more help, since, as I explained, I'm a
relatively new Mac user myself. If you've followed all of the steps in the
directions, then you haven't left anything out. You don't really say in much
detail that you've done. For example, did you click the "X" button in the R
Console?

>From the instructions:

4) Start R (e.g. double-click the R icon in /Applications).
5) Start X11 (e.g. click the X11 button on the R Console or double-click the
X11 icon in /Applications/Utilities).
6) Close the X11 terminal (optional).
7) Type library(Rcmdr) in the R Console and press Return.

Also when you installed R, did you attend to:

1) Install R.app (the R for Mac OS X GUI). If you select 'Customize' during
installation of R.app, make sure the entry for tcltk remains selected.

One more thing that you could do would be to answer the question that I
asked you in my last email: What happens when you try to load the tcltk
package directly via library(tcltk)?

> Ben
>
> p.s. i am also attaching Chiara to this email who is providing
> assistance to the research and is struggling with Rcmdr on her laptop.

Is Chiara a Mac user too? What problem is she encountering?

Regards,
 John