[R] Two envelopes problem

Greg Snow Greg.Snow at imail.org
Wed Aug 27 19:36:29 CEST 2008

The reason that taking the log fixes things is because log( 2 ) = -log( 1/2 ), so log takes us to an additive difference.

I think the use of log(utility) is actually based on experiments where people were asked what they were willing to risk for various potential gains and the results were more similar to the log than any other simple function (plus it makes sense based on the above).

--
Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.
Statistical Data Center
greg.snow at imail.org