[R] Two envelopes problem

Mark Leeds markleeds at verizon.net
Tue Aug 26 17:44:19 CEST 2008

Hi Duncan: I think I get you. Once one takes expectations, there is an
underlying assumption about the distribution of X and , in this problem, we
don't have one so taking expectations has no meaning.

If the log utility "fixing" the problem is purely just a coincidence, then
it's surely an odd one because log(utility) is often used in economics for
expressing how investors view the notion of accumulating capital versus the
risk of losing it. I'm not a economist but it's common for them  to
use log utility to prove theorems about optimal consumption etc.

Thanks because I think I see it now by your example below.

                                           Mark