[R] Installing R in Ubuntu

Paul Hiemstra p.hiemstra at geo.uu.nl
Wed Aug 13 11:21:06 CEST 2008

Hi,

If you download a package to your harddrive for installation you need to
use the dpkg command like:

1) Download pacakge (foo.deb)
2) Go to the directory
3) dpkg -i foo.deb

But I would advise against this because it is better to use repositories
so R get updated automatically. The standard ubuntu repositories have
old versions of R, see http://cran.r-project.org/bin/linux/ubuntu/ for a
description of how to add the CRAN repositories for the latest version
of R. You can also install a lot of R packages from this repository,
doing this also ensures that they are automatically updated.

cheers and hth,

Paul

Drs. Paul Hiemstra
Department of Physical Geography