[R] RPro

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at comcast.net
Sat Aug 9 20:05:19 CEST 2008

on 08/09/2008 12:45 PM Marc Schwartz wrote:
> on 08/09/2008 12:13 PM Charles C. Berry wrote:
>> On Fri, 8 Aug 2008, Kenn Konstabel wrote:
>>
>>> There's more to this trend: SPSS and Statistica now advertise "R
>>> language
>>> support" :
>>>
>>> http://www.statsoft.com/industries/Rlanguage.htm
>>> http://www.spss.com/spssdirections/na/sessions.cfm?sessionType=2
>>

>> If you can't beat R, join R.
>
> "Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated."
>
> ;-)
>

>> Should someone start a pool on when SAS will offer 'R language
>> support' ??
>
> It is already in place, albeit not from Cary:
>
>   http://www.minequest.com/
>
> See the link for "A Bridge to R for SAS Users".
>
> That product might put an interesting spin on:
>
>  > fortune(28)
>
> Jim Gustafsson: I would like to put my SAS-code into R. Could I do
> that, if yes, how?
> Frank Harrell: Just reverse the procedure you use when you put R code
> into SAS. ;)
>    -- Jim Gustafsson and Frank Harrell
>       R-help (February 2004)
>

> Their WPS product has been getting a fair amount of attention, at least
> for those needing mostly "Base" and not "Stat" functionality at
> substantially less cost than the SAS commercial license pricing.

Correction. WPS is actually a product of "Word Programming", which is at:

   http://www.teamwpc.co.uk/products/wps

though at the moment, I am having trouble getting to their web page.
There is a Wikipedia page here:

   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Programming_System

Minequest is providing SAS to WPS related consulting services.

Marc