[R] Cutting & pasting help examples into script window

Muenchen, Robert A (Bob) muenchen at utk.edu
Thu Sep 20 15:08:45 CEST 2007

Hi All,

When I cut & paste help file examples into a script window, about half
the time it pastes as a single long line.

The steps I follow are:

1. Open a help file e.g. ?data.frame.
2. Select the examples at the bottom.
3. Choose File: Copy.
4. Return to the console.
5. Choose File: New script.
6. Choose File: Paste or do CTRL-V. The examples frequently paste as a
single long line.

I came across this in 2.6.0 beta on Windows XP & thought it was related
to the cut/paste changes in that version. I went back to 2.5.1 and at
first it worked fine, verifying my suspicion that it was a 2.6.0
problem. I double-checked my steps before posting, and to my surprise
found that in both versions this problem is intermittent.

I thought it might be a menu vs. keyboard CTRL-V difference, but found
it happens with both, and in both versions. I have also fiddled with
sizing or moving the Help window but that doesn't seem to be related. I
did discover that may be a problem on the paste side of things, as so
far it *always* pastes into Notepad correctly.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Bob

P.S. What would really be slick would be to select the example in Help,
right-click and choose Run Line or Selection. Perhaps in version 2.7.
;-) .

Bob Muenchen (pronounced Min'-chen),
Manager, Statistical Consulting Center
U of TN Office of Information Technology
Stokely Management Center, Suite 200
916 Volunteer Blvd., Knoxville, TN 37996-0520
Voice: (865) 974-5230
FAX: (865) 974-4810
Email: muenchen at utk.edu
Web: http://oit.utk.edu/scc