[R] Proposal: Archive UseR conference presentations at www.r-project.org/useR-yyyy

hadley wickham h.wickham at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 17:05:00 CEST 2007

On 9/18/07, Uwe Ligges <ligges at statistik.uni-dortmund.de> wrote:
> Earl F. Glynn wrote:
> > "hadley wickham" <h.wickham at gmail.com> wrote in message
> > news:f8e6ff050709041413k70340217r76b51984d9e23ef9 at mail.gmail.com...
> >> Many of the presentations and posters from UseR! 2007 are now available
> >> online:
> >> http://user2007.org/program/
> >
> > The UseR 2006 conference info and presentations are part of
> > www.r-project.org, namely http://www.r-project.org/useR-2006/
> >
> > I noticed the user2007.org  domain expires on 16 December 2007, which would
> > need to be renewed each year to continue to make these presentations
> > available online. During the year of a conference it makes sense to have a
> > separate domain, but would it make sense to archive old UseR conferences at
> > www.r-project.org/useR-yyyy?  Would it make sense to standardize this so one
> > could generalize and find the presentations for any year?
> >
> > Next years' domain name is http://www.statistik.uni-dortmund.de/useR-2008/
> > but could be www.r-project.org/useR-2008 .  An automatic redirection link
> > could be used so that www.r-project.org/useR-2008 is redirected to
> > http://www.statistik.uni-dortmund.de/useR-2008/  for now, but once the
> > conference is over the archive could be moved to www.r-project.org.  Any
> > comments?
>

> I'm fine with the proposal to move abstract or presentation to
> www.r-project.org after the useR-2008. Having it local is much easier
> during the organization periods. I know this is one of the topics some
> useR organizers are currently discussing in the Austrian mountains
> (where I should be as well given I've had some more time these days).

It would be even more useful to use subdomains like
user2007.r-project.org so that we could host the content at a site
other than on the R server (this would make it much easier for me, as
I won't need to change the site at all to work on the r-project
server).  I'm happy to advise on how to do this, if you (Fritz?) have
access to your DNS records.

Hadley