[R] Proposal: Archive UseR conference presentations at www.r-project.org/useR-yyyy

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.uni-dortmund.de
Tue Sep 18 14:10:11 CEST 2007

Earl F. Glynn wrote:
> "hadley wickham" <h.wickham at gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:f8e6ff050709041413k70340217r76b51984d9e23ef9 at mail.gmail.com...
>> Many of the presentations and posters from UseR! 2007 are now available
>> online:
>> http://user2007.org/program/
>
> The UseR 2006 conference info and presentations are part of
> www.r-project.org, namely http://www.r-project.org/useR-2006/
>
> I noticed the user2007.org  domain expires on 16 December 2007, which would
> need to be renewed each year to continue to make these presentations
> available online. During the year of a conference it makes sense to have a
> separate domain, but would it make sense to archive old UseR conferences at
> www.r-project.org/useR-yyyy?  Would it make sense to standardize this so one
> could generalize and find the presentations for any year?
>
> Next years' domain name is http://www.statistik.uni-dortmund.de/useR-2008/
> but could be www.r-project.org/useR-2008 .  An automatic redirection link
> could be used so that www.r-project.org/useR-2008 is redirected to
> http://www.statistik.uni-dortmund.de/useR-2008/  for now, but once the
> conference is over the archive could be moved to www.r-project.org.  Any
> comments?

I'm fine with the proposal to move abstract or presentation to
www.r-project.org after the useR-2008. Having it local is much easier
during the organization periods. I know this is one of the topics some
useR organizers are currently discussing in the Austrian mountains
(where I should be as well given I've had some more time these days).

Uwe Ligges