[R] Problem updating packages

Vladimir Eremeev wl2776 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 14:41:28 CEST 2007

Sergey Goriatchev wrote:

> Hello, everybody
>
> I have R 2.5.1 now installed on a laptop with Windows Vista Home
> Premium. I have problems updating the packages. Here is what I get at
> the prompt when I try to update:
>

>> update.packages(ask='graphics')
> --- Please select a CRAN mirror for use in this session ---
> trying URL
> 'http://cran.ch.r-project.org/bin/windows/contrib/2.5/car_1.2-2.zip'
> Content type 'application/zip' length 709592 bytes
> opened URL
> downloaded 692Kb
>
> trying URL
> 'http://cran.ch.r-project.org/bin/windows/contrib/2.5/lattice_0.16-5.zip'
> Content type 'application/zip' length 873537 bytes
> opened URL
> downloaded 853Kb
>
> package 'car' successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
> package 'lattice' successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
>
> The downloaded packages are in
>         C:\Users\Sergey\AppData\Local\Temp\RtmpbQJHsb\downloaded_packages
> updating HTML package descriptions
> Warning in install.packages(update[instlib == l, "Package"], l,

contriburl = contriburl,  :
         'lib = "C:/PROGRA~1/R/R-25~1.1/library"' is not writable
Error in install.packages(update[instlib == l, "Package"], l,
contriburl = contriburl,  :
        unable to install packages

What can be wrong? I already deleted R and its folder and installed it
fresh. Same problem. On an XP machine this never happened. :-( Thank
you for your help.

The function has written you what was wrong.
"C:/PROGRA~1/R/R-25~1.1/library"' was not writable

You should install new packages either running R with administrator
privilegies, or installing them to another directory, writable for ordinary
user.