[R] Problem updating packages

Sergey Goriatchev sergeyg at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 14:07:02 CEST 2007

Hello, everybody

I have R 2.5.1 now installed on a laptop with Windows Vista Home
Premium. I have problems updating the packages. Here is what I get at
the prompt when I try to update:

> update.packages(ask='graphics')
--- Please select a CRAN mirror for use in this session ---
trying URL 'http://cran.ch.r-project.org/bin/windows/contrib/2.5/car_1.2-2.zip'
Content type 'application/zip' length 709592 bytes
opened URL
downloaded 692Kb

trying URL 'http://cran.ch.r-project.org/bin/windows/contrib/2.5/lattice_0.16-5.zip'
Content type 'application/zip' length 873537 bytes
opened URL
downloaded 853Kb

package 'car' successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
package 'lattice' successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked

The downloaded packages are in
        C:\Users\Sergey\AppData\Local\Temp\RtmpbQJHsb\downloaded_packages
updating HTML package descriptions
Warning in install.packages(update[instlib == l, "Package"], l,
contriburl = contriburl,  :
         'lib = "C:/PROGRA~1/R/R-25~1.1/library"' is not writable
Error in install.packages(update[instlib == l, "Package"], l,
contriburl = contriburl,  :
        unable to install packages

What can be wrong? I already deleted R and its folder and installed it
fresh. Same problem. On an XP machine this never happened. :-( Thank
you for your help.