[R] building packages: hhc.exe not found using xp

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon Nov 19 12:56:22 CET 2007

On Mon, 19 Nov 2007, Nicodemus, Kristin (NIH/NIMH) [C] wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Apologies in advance if this should be in R-devel, not Rhelp.  I did
> read through the R-devel thread started by Gabor Grothendieck in
> September of this year - I am getting the exact same error using a new
> computer that has XP installed, not vista, complaining that the file
> hhc.exe is not found.

It works for many careful people, including on Vista.

> I have downloaded the hhc.exe to HTML Help
> Workshop dir in Program Files but it says that there is a newer version
> (apparently not called hhc.exe) and seems to refuse to see the hhc.exe.
> On my old computer, also running XP, I was able to compile the CHM
> files.

Is it on your path?  There are two parts to HTML Help Workshop, and it is
the second that is not installed on recent systems.

> I can successfully build the package with the appropriate non-html help
files and I had resigned myself to leaving it as-is for the windows version, until I noticed that when calling up help in windows, instead of simply bringing up the non-html help files it actually prints an error message:

> Warning message:
> In print.help_files_with_topic("C:/PROGRA~1/R/R-26~1.0/library/package1/chm/package1") :
>  No CHM help for 'package1' in package 'package1' is available:
> the CHM file for the package is missing
>
> If nothing else, is there a way to turn off this warning in windows?

Yes, choose a different default help type, either when you install R or by
editing etc/Rprofile.site.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk