[R] building packages: hhc.exe not found using xp

Nicodemus, Kristin (NIH/NIMH) [C] nicodemusk at mail.nih.gov
Mon Nov 19 12:29:07 CET 2007

Hello,

Apologies in advance if this should be in R-devel, not Rhelp.  I did read through the R-devel thread started by Gabor Grothendieck in September of this year - I am getting the exact same error using a new computer that has XP installed, not vista, complaining that the file hhc.exe is not found.  I have downloaded the hhc.exe to HTML Help Workshop dir in Program Files but it says that there is a newer version (apparently not called hhc.exe) and seems to refuse to see the hhc.exe.  On my old computer, also running XP, I was able to compile the CHM files.

I can successfully build the package with the appropriate non-html help files and I had resigned myself to leaving it as-is for the windows version, until I noticed that when calling up help in windows, instead of simply bringing up the non-html help files it actually prints an error message:

Warning message:
In print.help_files_with_topic("C:/PROGRA~1/R/R-26~1.0/library/package1/chm/package1") :
  No CHM help for 'package1' in package 'package1' is available:
the CHM file for the package is missing

If nothing else, is there a way to turn off this warning in windows?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,
Kristin