[R] R 2.6.0 & RMySQL

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon Nov 12 16:13:30 CET 2007

I don't understand why you are trying to install a 2.5.x binary on R
2.6.0.  Perhaps if you tried not to make things so hard for yourself and
just used the Packages menu to install RMySQL this might work: it does for
me and quite a few others.

Otherwise, you do need libMySQL.dll on the path or copied to the same
directory as RMySQL.dll to be sure that is not the issue.  I suspect it is
rather an R version mismatch.

On Mon, 12 Nov 2007, Joachim Claudet wrote:

> Dear list members --
>
> I have problems in loading the pre-compiled library RMySQL_0.5-7 taken
> here (http://stat.bell-labs.com/RS-DBI/download/index.html) or
> RMySQL_0.6-0 taken here
> (http://www.stats.ox.ac.uk/pub/RWin/bin/windows/contrib/2.5/) on R 2.6.0
> under Windows XP. I am using the MySQL features of EasyPHP1-8 (but the
> problem is not (for the moment) in connecting with a database but just
> in loading the package)

> I have seen all the previous posts explaining to copy the libMySQL.dll &
> RMySQL.dll of the RMySQL library in the Windows/System32 folder or to
> change the path variable in the Environment Variables of the system but
> nothing helps.

I do wish people would not write things like that.  Give URLs of what you
have read, since

- very often it is not 'all'.
- sometimes it is misread.
- some of the self-appointed experts are founts of misinformation (as
   apparently here), so we need to know the credentials.

> I still have the following message (I am sorry but, unfortunately, it is
> in French; with my translation):

You can always start R in English (see the rw-FAQ) to quote English
messages.  I would have expected there to be a message box as well (at
least under XP) saying what the missing procedure was (and that would be
in French, no doubt).

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk