[R] off-topic: affine transformation matrix

Dylan Beaudette dylan.beaudette at gmail.com
Tue May 29 21:56:57 CEST 2007

Thanks for the prompt and clear reply! The simplicity of the solution may have
been why I initially overlooked this approach...

The results look convincing (http://169.237.35.250/~dylan/temp/affine.png),
now I just need to verify that the output from coef() is in the format that I
need it in.

l <- lm(cbind(nx,ny) ~ x + y, data=g)
coef(l)
                     nx           ny
(Intercept)  6.87938629  5.515261158
x            1.01158806 -0.005449152
y           -0.04481893  0.996895878

## convert to format needed for affine() function in postGIS?
t(coef(l))

   (Intercept)            x           y
nx    6.879386  1.011588063 -0.04481893
ny    5.515261 -0.005449152  0.99689588

note that the format that I am looking for looks something like the matrix
defined on this page:
http://www.geom.uiuc.edu/docs/reference/CRC-formulas/node15.html

cheers,

dylan