[R] accessing unexported functions

Seth Falcon sfalcon at fhcrc.org
Mon May 21 16:59:18 CEST 2007

Erich Neuwirth <erich.neuwirth at univie.ac.at> writes:

> I need to access some internal function of a package temporarily.
> These functions normally that are not visible outside of the package.
> I know the MyPackage:::myfunction mechanism,
> but that does not solve my problem.
> Instead, I need to add the "internal namespace" of the package
> to the search path, then I can run a few commands with these functions
> available, and then the internal namespace should become
> invisible again.
>
> Is there a code example to achieve this?

Perhaps something like

pkgEnv = getNamespace("MyPackage")
attach(pkgEnv)

You might also be interested in assignInNamespace -- perhaps you can
add you function to the package's name space and then call it using
:::.

Be warned, this is the wrong way to solve a long-term problem.  Bad
things will happen and nobody will feel sorry for you.

+ seth

--
Seth Falcon | Computational Biology | Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center
http://bioconductor.org