[R] Wikibooks

Frank E Harrell Jr f.harrell at vanderbilt.edu
Fri Mar 30 00:31:45 CEST 2007

Ben Bolker wrote:
> Alberto Monteiro <albmont <at> centroin.com.br> writes:
>
>> As a big fan of Wikipedia, it's frustrating to see how little there is about
>> R in the correlated project, the Wikibooks:
>>
>> http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/R_Programming
>>
>> Alberto Monteiro
>>

>   Well, we do have an R wiki -- http://wiki.r-project.org/rwiki/doku.php --
> although it is not as active as I'd like.  (We got stuck halfway through
> porting Paul Johnson's "R Tips" to it ...)   Please contribute!
>   Most of the (considerable) effort people expend in answering
> questions about R goes to the mailing lists -- I personally would like it if some
> tiny fraction of that energy could be redirected toward the wiki, where
> information can be presented in a nicer format and (ideally) polished
> over time -- rather than having to dig back through multiple threads on the
> mailing lists to get answers.  (After that we have to get people
> to look for the answers on the wiki.)

I would like to strongly second Ben.  In some ways, R experts are too
nice.  Continuing to answer the same questions over and over does not
lead to a better way using R wiki.  I would rather see the work go into
enhancing the wiki and refactoring information, and responses to many
r-help please for help be "see wiki topic x".  While doing this let's
consider putting a little more burden on new users to look for good
answers already provided.

Frank