[R] Implementing trees in R

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 15:06:55 CET 2007

Let me rephrase that.  Lists do not support references but they
could be used to represent trees.

list(a = list(a = 1, b = list(2, 3, d = list(4, 5)), c = list(4, 5))

is a tree whose top nodes are a, b, c and b contains three nodes
2, 3 and d and d contains 2 nodes.

However, if you want to do it via references as requested then lists
are not appropriate.